How to make the law work for you when it comes to overtime
Are you unaware of the little tricks regarding overtime that can make a big difference to your bottom line? Use the law to your advantage – read the report below to find out more.
You don’t always have to pay for overtime so why incur the expense?
You don’t have to pay all employees for overtime, even if they do work overtime. You don’t have to pay overtime to the following categories of employees (Section 6(1) and 6(3) of the BCEA):
- Senior managerial employees
- Sales staff who travel to the premises of customers and who regulate their own hours of work
- Employees who work less than 24 hours a month for you
- Employees who earn more than R149 736 per year (The Minister will change this amount from time to time)
Warning! Remember that despite what the BCEA says, if you’ve agreed in your employment contract to pay overtime, you must! Be careful of agreeing to pay overtime if you’re likely to give your employee a salary increases that means he’ll earn more than R149 736 per year.
TIP: Write the following clause into your employment
Take advantage of the flexibility the BCEA allows!
You can agree with your employee to give her time off in lieu of payment for overtime that she’s worked – to take advantage of this, you must provide for it in your employment contracts.
Find out the vital clause you must include in your contract, as well as guidelines for overtime payment, in your Labour Law for Managers Loose Leaf .
Try our complete Labour Law for Managers Loose Leaf Service risk-free for 14-days. As part of this service you’ll also receive the Labour Law for Managers Loose Leaf, three bonus reports, regular updates, a daily bulletin, online access to past labour updates and a labour helpdesk.
The Labour Law for Managers Loose Leaf also includes:
- The CCMA has processed over one million disputes and employees have won more than 50%! Are you prepared?
- One in three employment contracts put the employer at a disadvantage
- Planning a retrenchment? Watch out…
- Do you know how to legally dismiss your employee?
- Do your employees abuse their leave?
- 14 ways to comply with employment equity
- Do you know one day’s absence can cost you three days’ salary? Start proactively dealing with absenteeism today!
- Make sure you resolve employee grievances before they turn into major CCMA or Labour Court disputes!
- 10 essential steps to dismissing for poor performance - have you covered all your bases?
- Strikes can cripple your business – find out how to prevent them